Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Table That Ate the Diningroom

Many of you remember with fondness our Sponge Bob table. I really loved that table. It was so happy and fun. However, due to circumstances beyond our control, we needed a bigger table. So, Aaron and I went looking for one. We had a Kristen shopping experience. (I hope Kristen doesn't mind me recounting this.) My sister-in-law, when she was younger would shop for clothes this way: she would go around to all the racks and feel all the clothes and choose the one that felt the best--usually also the most expensive one. That's what happened to us. We went around to all the furniture stores and fingered all the tables. We wanted a square table that was 60 inches. But all the tables we saw were counter height or too small. Finally at the end of a long evening, I suggested we go to Pottery Barn. We had seen a table we liked there, but balked at the shipping. So we drove downtown and sure enough, they had the one we wanted, in a color we wanted, and we could pick it up the next day. Aaron brought it home and he and my Dad and brother set it up and brought it in. It is seriously the most massive table I have ever seen. It weighs a ton and seats lots of people comfortably. Many of you will want to see the table, but as I didn't take a picture, you will have to go to Pottery Barn. Look for the Amherst table. We got it in black. It says it seats ten, but if some of the people are small, you can get 12 people around it and I keep thinking that, in a pinch, you could seat 14. I think it looks really great in our dining room. We have honey colored chairs and my Dad gave us a huge lazy susan from their new kitchen. It can hold an entire taco meal. One added bonus is that the kids are getting really good at serving themselves. However, I think their favorite part is putting their cups on the lazy susan and spinning it around so I can pour them some milk. Hannah keeps saying that we should get a train to put our food on and just have it run around the table. Maybe for Christmas. After years of putting the milk and half the meal on the floor after serving so we could have room to eat, it's lovely to finally have plenty of room for everything.

3 comments:

Jen said...

The table sounds absolutely lovely. And I second the train idea.

Hilary said...

beautiful! i'm so happy for you. i love pottery barn.

Judy and Lloyd Abbott said...

Actually Kristen was only 3-years old at the time, and we took her to the fancy Abraham and Straus Department Store in Brooklyn, NY. She'd rub the fabric between her fingers and up against her cheek going up and down the cloths rack. The first choice was always more than we could afford, but we'd ask, "If not this one, what do you like next best." Often we could afford her third choice. She had a gift--Dad ALSO-our dinner table was the social epicenter of our home--GOOD INVESTMENT, GUYS!