Sunday, July 8, 2012

Preserve Family Memories

Cute baby Katrina

For each of my kids I kept a first year calendar and made a scrapbook/photo album of pictures from their first year.  I usually try to complete the photo album before the next baby is born.  Poor Katrina, there was no baby coming along to push me into actually doing it.  So, now that she's four, when the other kids pull out their albums, and she doesn't have one, she complains about it and the other kids complain about it too.  So, for the Badge of Fun this week, I took a day a put together her album.  I don't know how much fun that was for the kids, except for the fact that I let them do whatever they wanted all day and didn't make them do their summer school work.  It was the day after the 4th, and it rained all day, so the kids played outside in the rain, collecting snails and getting wet and playing with umbrellas.  It was a good day.  Putting together the album probably would have taken me a lot less time if my computer hadn't died on me every half hour or so and it would take another half an hour before it would come back up again.  You really can't blame it, it's 6 years old.  What is that, like 110, in computer years?  But, despite the annoying computer, I got the album put together and Katrina has looked at it every day since.

This week's Badge of Fun is Start a New Tradition.  You remember that these came from a whole year of Family Fun.  This one is from the Dec/Jan issue.  Here are their suggestions: do something kind for others, write a time capsule letter, or make edible holiday decorations.  You know thinking of the holidays puts me in the mood for fudge.  Maybe an un-holiday fudge making is in order.  I have planned to mail out our Christmas cards this week.  I know, they're 6 months over due, but I think I'm going to start a new tradition of sending them out in the summer, when I'm not so crazy busy with school and holiday fun.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

how great to finally get that done! i am behind on my baby albums too, and it's the digital age that's done it to me too. i'm impressed that you got it all done in 1 day. perhaps we think these things will take much longer than they actually do, and that's why we put them off so long.

Jen said...

Mmm, fudge. That's so funny, 110 in computer years. Actually just 2 weeks ago I finally finished my wedding album, and that's only because Kodak Gallery was going out of business, so it was finish it now or lose it and start all over. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. Hope it turned out well. Nothing is so motivating as a looming hard deadline.