Sunday, December 13, 2009

Whose Idea Was This Anyway?

Most of our house doesn't need any work. It's beautiful as it is. But there are a few areas that need a little attention. Our first renovation project was Aaron's office. It is the small back bedroom that was wallpapered in pink flowers. Needless to say, Aaron didn't want to keep the pink flowers. I can't imagine why. My sister Miekka did a lot of the leg work as far as defining the color palette and finding accessories to finish the room. She did a really great job. The room looks amazing. Here are a few photos of it as a work in progress.


Miekka and my mom helped take off the wall paper. Jakey helped too.

Taking off the wall paper was the "easy" part. Then I had to clean the walls. It took me about a week. I could only work for about fifteen or twenty minutes before my arm started to ache and I had to take a break. I could work longer at the end of the week, so I guess I developed some muscles.

This is the first round of painting.

Round number two.

I didn't take a picture of it, but there was a round number three too. Each round required two coats of paint, and dry time between them, and when I took the tape off, a lot of the paint came with it. After it was all over, I spent another night, or maybe two, doing touch ups. I didn't get them all either. I still have to go back and fix a few spots. Argh!




What office would be complete without a great desk? Here is the desk in progress.

We bought a great desk at Costco over the summer. It has a corner unit (which is in the picture). It has a file drawer and a hutch for storing things. It also comes with a tower shelf and another desk. We put the other desk on the wall to the right with the tower shelf on it. The corner unit is for Aaron to work on and for me to do bills. The other is for my sewing machine and big girl crafting. I have wanted a room like this for so long. Aaron has worked in the room a couple of times. It's lovely to have a place to put bills and know I'll be able to find them later.

In the end, it's a really cool looking room. It was just a total pain to do. I kept saying "Whose idea was this anyway?" Sadly, the stripes were my own. They sounded a lot easier when we were talking about them than when we were actually doing them. Oh well, I guess there's a first and last time for everything.

5 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

Awesome! It's neat to see the final product! That's great!

Jen said...

Ooooh neat. I'm totally impressed. We have yet to do a home renovation project. Hanging pictures or putting up Christmas lights is about as far as we've got so far.

And I really like the stripes. Good choice.

Jenni Call said...

I love home improvement projects! Aaron's office looks great. Miekka pretty much rocks too! Keep up those arm muscles!!

Boo said...

That was such an ambitious project, but it looks great. I would love a room like that - bills and crafts, with a door to keep the kids out. Perfect.

Sonian said...

Looks like a lot of hard work that paid off very well.