Sunday, December 2, 2012

Friends

I was reminded tonight of three friends.  After dinner, I turned on the First Presidency's Christmas Message and started to paper mache a large letter "A" that I am making for my living room.  I was reminded, as I was up to my elbows in goop, of the time my friend Janice and I, with our kids, made Nemo pinatas.  I love the memory of working with Janice on that project and the fun mess it was.  It's hard to believe that those sweet little girls who worked so hard on the pinatas are teenagers now.  Then, as I was listening to President Monson's talk, I thought of my kid's second Grandma, our neighbor from Kaysville, Caroll.  She was always so willing to help and so kind and sweet with the kids.  We really miss her.  Finally, I had to give haircuts to Caleb and Aaron and Katrina, who had cut her own hair.  (Grrrr!)  As I was cutting, I was reminded of the many times I watched my companion, Annette Beyer, cut our fellow missionaries' hair.  Without her skill and knowledge as an example, I would not have been able to cut Aaron's hair.  I was also reminded of my first Christmas with Annette in Germany, too.  We got out our Advent's Kranz for the first time in many years.  We put it on the table and ate dinner with our first candle lit.   It's been a long time now, but I still remember buying my first Advent's Kranz with Annette and lighting it in our apartment to celebrate the coming of Christmas.  All three of these wonderful friends have influenced me for good.  I am glad  that Heavenly Father has blessed me so richly with their love and friendship.

2 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

It's great to have wonderful friends in our lives, isn't it? What's a Kranz?

Anonymous said...

We have used our adventskrantz every year since I made mine with you. It's an important part of our family Christmas traditions. We even have a binder of Christmas stories from Joy that we read from each Sunday. Thanks for sharing that tradition with me! Emily