I know that many of you have been wondering how our home school is going. It is going well, and I hope you will forgive me not talking about it right now. I really wanted to post some of the fun things we did this summer. One of the first things we did was get a trampoline. The kids choose it over a new swing set. I bought it in early May. When I told the kids I had brought it home and it was in the car right that minute, they all ran outside and tried to push it out of the car. The kids and I all helped to put it together. I didn't think we were going to make it, but we got it in the end. Then they all jumped on it. They were absolutely exhausted that night.
First time on the trampoline.Aaron and I went out to Ben and Barbara's wedding in early June. Aaron had a class and trade show in Vegas and the family was going to go out and stay the week with him. But then he had to work and we actually ended up only staying the weekend with him. We had fun in the pool and visited one of the casinos and saw their amazing garden display.
A snail we saw all covered in flowers.We got a season pass to "This is the Place" monument park. The kids have a lot of fun doing the crafts and activities there.
Maggie trying to walk on stilts. The pioneers make it look so easy.Their favorite thing was going to the school and learning what it was like for pioneer children to go to school. The teacher taught the kids how to spell their names using the Deseret alphabet.
Hannah's name in the Deseret alphabet.Fourth of July is generally low key at our house. We decided we don't love getting up early on a holiday to go sit in the sun and see a boring parade. So, we do a celebration at home. We had a water fight, the kids made patriotic hats, decorated the float, and threw candy in our at home parade. Then Aaron set off a bunch of fun fireworks in the front yard.
My niece, Lia, in her patriotic hat.
At the end of the evening, Hannah recited/read the Gettysburg address. We spent a wonderful week at Bear Lake with Grandmother Renee. We visited the Oregon trail museum, explored the ice caves, and the older kids went to Pickleville Playhouse and saw "Crazy For You." We also rented a water ski and played in the water and sand at Bear Lake. But, wouldn't you know it, I forgot to take any pictures. I guess when we're with the Smalley's we have too much fun to step back and take pictures. But, we did break out the the camera for our last day.
With Renee on the steps at Keetch Kottage.When we got home, I promised Sophie and Caleb that I would paint their room. It took a while, and I let the kids help, but it turned out cute.
Caleb's first painting experience. I love the huge paint shirt.
Sophie was a great helper. Hannah had a friend over that day and she and Maggie and her friend made a tea party for the kids while I was painting. They made peanut butter chew cookies, tea, and found something else for Caleb to eat. My kitchen was a disaster, but everyone was occupied and happy for a few hours. It was all worth it.
Enjoying the fruits of their labors. We drove out to California in mid-August for Ben and Barbara's reception. We had a fun week with our family there and especially enjoyed staying with Hilary and Dave. Aaron ran a 5K with a group of guys from the family.
Here they are heading up to the start line.Unfortunately, my camera died at this moment, so I didn't get their triumphant return. But they got a cool T-shirt out of it and had fun. On our way home, we picked up Grandma Abbott's piano. It was pretty exciting getting it home, but we made it. And Aaron, especially, is loving having it. He is teaching the girls piano right now. They have been excited about learning and are doing well.
Maggie got a cabbage plant from her school class that we planted in our garden. It was huge. I think it weighed almost 8lbs.
"Mom, take the picture, this is heavy."For Labor day we decided to go up the canyons and have a picnic. Of course we climbed all around on the big rocks they have there. It was a cool day, but nice in the sun.
Posing on the rocks.Finally, on September 11th, we had a family reunion with my side of the family. It was only one day, but we packed in lots of fun activities.
Roasting marshmallows around the campfire. I always go into summer thinking that it will be a quiet relaxing time. And for part of the summer it was, but as usual, we planned so many fun things, that in reading this I keep thinking "I need a vacation from my vacation."
3 comments:
How fun! Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you are enjoying Grandma Abbott's piano! Home schooling? What home schooling?
What a fun summer! Your kids are growing up so fast. Are you doing the same system as Miekka and Seth?
That does sound like a lot of fun stuff. I have to say, I've never seen such a monster cabbage. And did Aaron tell you we used to have stilts when we were kids (in Germany)? I wonder if he remembers. We all got pretty good at walking with them--after a while.
Post a Comment